2018 Council Members
Bottom row (L to R):
Gail Johnson - Vice President
Jenny Niesen - President
Gordie Esser - Treasurer
Mark Richardson - Member at Large
Ryan McCulloh - Member at Large
Matt Wildman - Secretary
St. Martin's Church Council
The Church Council is the governing body of St. Martin’s Lutheran Church. The council consists of six church members and the Pastor. They meet at least monthly to oversee the activities of the church. The members serve a three year term and are elected on a rotating basis. The objectives of the council are:
• Set overall goals and objectives for the congregation and communicate them to the members.
• Oversee the business functions of the church, create and implement church policy.
• Oversee church property maintenance and approve use by members and non-members.
• Oversee team ministry of the congregation and ensure that there are enough team members to carry out the team tasks.
• Evaluate the activities and work of the TLC and the teams in their groups and offer recommendations for changes.
• Encourage all members to participate in the life of the church, approve new members and review the status of inactive members.
• Provide general oversight of the spiritual life of the church, including the worship opportunities.
• Encourage church leaders to attend synod lay leadership workshops and activities as provided for in the budget.
Goals set by the Church Council - 2018
(Check back later for update - 2018 Goals.)
Church Council President
Jenny Niesen email
I grew up in Springfield Corners, the youngest of six kids. My husband, Mark, grew up in Cross Plains, the third of six kids. We got married in 1998, moved to Cross Plains in 1999, and joined St Martins in 2000. We have two daughters – Valerie and Megan. They are both involved in various sports and activities throughout the year, keeping us busy. I have been working at Gordon Flesch Company in Fitchburg since 1993. My current role is a financial analyst. I have been involved in several roles at St Martins including Sunday School teacher, lector, and counting team. I am looking forward to growing in my faith with my St Martins family.
Church Council Vice-President
Gail Johnson email
(Update coming ...)
Church Council Treasurer
Gordie Esser email
I am one of 10 children, born and raised in Cross Plains, one block from St Martin's. My wife, Amy, and I became members in 2007. I have a step-son, Travis, and three additional sons, Zach, Tyler, and Nolan. I've been working at Plastic Ingenuity in Cross Plains since 1990 and have advanced from the cleaning department to the team leader of the office staff and I work directly with the finance department. During our free time, we enjoy spending times with family and friends and going on vacations when possible. This is the first committee I've been on St Martin's so I look forward to growing as a member of this great church community.
Church Council Secretary
Matt Wildman email
I grew up in Cassville, attended UW-Platteville, and have been a construction professional since 1994. I work as a Preconstruction Estimator with Affiliated Construction Services (ACS), in Middleton. My wife Amy and I have lived in Cross Plains since 2004, and along with our son Austin, have been members at St. Martins since 2012. I enjoy fishing, hunting, boating and generally spending time outdoors with family.
Church Council Member
Mark Richardson email
Mark and Joyce Richardson have been members of St Martin’s since 2013. Mark grew up in Merrill Wisconsin where he was a member of St John Lutheran Church many years ago. Mark retired from the Army Band in 2005 after twenty years of service. Mark is currently a Massage Therapist at Heartland Hospice of Madison specializing in lighter touch therapies like CranioSacral, Lymphatic and EFT therapies. Mark and Joyce live in Cross Plains with their King Charles Cavalier Spaniel named Charlie and can see St. Martin’s from their back yard.
Church Council Member
Ryan McCulloh email
(Update coming ....)